I just don’t seem to have enough of ice-creams here in Durham. More, please!
- Large eggs: 4
- Castor sugar: 1/2 cup
- Fresh whipping cream (or double cream): 2 cups (500ml)
- Skimmed milk: 1 cup (250ml)
- Coconut cream: 1/3 cup (90ml)
- Dessicated coconut: 1/2 cup
- Whisk eggs till light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and whisk for 2min till consistent.
- Add cream and milk. Whisk for another 2min.
- Add coconut cream and whisk for another 2min.
- Leave to chill in fridge for 1hr.
- Remove from fridge and whisk for 3-4min. Leave to set in fridge for 1hr.
- Stir in dessicated coconut gently when mixture is thick enough. Then leave mixture to set overnight in the freezer.
- It’s back to the same old trick of whisking every now and then to ensure consistency and lightness.
- Got these oyster shells from Sainsbury’s. Was not expecting to find melted marshmallows inside the shells. Nevertheless, these gave the ice-creams a quirky tropical look that I wanted.
- Those black dots are poppy seeds – to make the oyster shells look more authentic.
Makes about 4 pints