These jam sandwich cookies are delightful to bake for a great Christmas treat at home. Making them is simple; assembling them is fun too. The ruby red colour of the jam peering out of the hole at the center of each cookie – like that of a glittering gem – would beckon to even the most nonchalant guest at a party.
- Unsalted butter: 150g, softened
- Icing sugar: 100g, sifted
- Lemon essence: 1/2 tsp
- Egg yolk: 2, large
- Plain flour: 350g
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Strawberry jam: 3/4 cup
- Preheat oven at 190 degrees Celsius.
- Beat butter, sugar and lemon essence at medium speed till light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Sift in flour and salt.
- Knead to form smooth dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 min.
- Roll out dough to 3mm thickness on floured surface.
- Using a fluted cookie cutter, stamp out as many cookies as the dough allows.
- Using a small round cookie cutter, stamp out holes from the center of half the number of cookies.
- Place cookies on a greased baking tray. Bake 10 min till edges start to brown.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Spoon 1/2 tsp jam onto the round cookies.
- Place the holed-out cookies on top of the jam to form the sandwiches.
- If desired, sprinkle the holed-out cookies with icing sugar first before assembling them. That’s how I get to celebrate a white Christmas in a winter-less wonderland!
- Use other types of jam such as orange marmalade or even those of your very own make to create your own platter of colourful gem (jam) cookies.
20 – 25 sandwich cookies depending on size of cookie cutters