Just two steps to cook this soup. It’s so amazing – a real time-saver and a hassle-free chore!
Basically, the soup gets its taste from all the ingredients in it – the sweetness of the chicken meat and the dates and wolfberries; the steeped flavours from the mushrooms and scallops; the fibrous texture from the shark melon. You don’t really need anything else to eat your plain rice with.
I can imagine this would be a really nice soup to savour on a cold wintry day, except that such a day will never come in hot and humid Singapore. But it doesn’t hurt to let my imagination run wild once in a while; let it run back to those good old days in Durham during its coldest winter days – us sitting in the dining area sipping a bowl of piping hot shark melon soup and watching the snowfall through the living room windows. Mmm… sweet memories are coming back.
Let me dream of this tonight. 😮
- Chicken breast meat: 100g, sliced into chunks
- Shark melon: 300g, sliced into chunks
- Wolfberry: 1 tbsp
- Red date: 4
- Dried mushroom: 2, soaked in water for 1 hr, stem removed
- Dried scallop: 20g (a handful)
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Shaoxing wine: 1 tbsp
- Ginger: 2 slices
- Water: 1/2 pot (about 5 – 6 cups)
- Place chicken, shark melon, wolfberries, red dates, mushrooms, scallops, salt, wine and ginger into a slow-cooker pot.
- Pour water into pot. Cook on low heat for 8 hrs till chicken and melons are soft.
- This recipe works well using winter melon as a replacement for shark melon too.
3 persons as appetiser