This week has been hectic, rushed, sleep-deprived and busy in all senses of these words. The guy was on an overseas work trip, leaving behind his wife – me – to take care of the cheeky boy. It wasn’t too bad actually, but given that I’ve also had to bring plenty of work back home to do, sleep didn’t come till 1am or 2am in the wee hours of the night for me every single day. I am now just feeling so worn out and dead beat that I could easily fall asleep anywhere!
So this weekend, I needed to do something simple – a cheat meal of sorts for us three so that I can get away with any heavy cooking and washing up. This dish of tom yum noodles with tum yum flakes is not the most nutritious meal one can get at home, but at least there’s protein and a kick from the chilli spice that comes with the tom yum paste and the red chilli slices – a perk-me-up that I desperately need at the end of a crazy work week!
- Spaghetti: 200g
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Lettuce: 6 leaves, washed
- White onion: 1/2, finely diced
- Tom yum paste: 2 tbsp
- Red chilli: 2 pieces, sliced
- Tuna flake (in brine): 2 cans, drained
- Cook spaghetti as per instructions.
- Drain water away. Mix in 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Place lettuce leaves onto 2 serving plates.
- Scoop noodles onto lettuce leaves and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok. Stir-fry onion for 1min till softened.
- Mix in tom yum paste. Fry for 2min.
- Stir in red chilli and tuna flakes.
- Stir tuna mixture into spaghetti to serve.
- I do believe this dish would taste a lot more like a cheat treat, and maybe even tastier, if instant noodles are used instead of spaghetti. Try it!
- This recipe is an adaptation of the ‘Maggie Mee’ recipes that came from The Sunday Times dated April 2007.