It has been a busy four months. Last week was the peak of what we have all been working towards – it was crazy, and we barely managed. I didn’t get to see the boy for almost three days last week and I missed him like crazy.
It’s not over yet. Work commitments seem to go on forever, but there’s at least some time to wind down this weekend (before the craziness kicks in again and everything goes back to square one). Well, of course, there are all the other family commitments to work on too, and these remain my number one priority. I was able to knock off on time for the entire week this week to pick the boy up from school. It felt surreal. I guess being away from him for a while makes me appreciate his presence even more.
Needless to say, I miss cooking a lot too. I have been so busy that I couldn’t really get my energy up to do any form of cooking at all. There was no time for groceries, no time for washing up, no time for meals and no time for cooking at all.
This weekend, I’m back in the kitchen thinking about what I should do with what remains of the Azuki beans used for the creamy red bean popsicles that I did two weeks ago. I am presently quite into the mood to treat myself (better), and so decided to whip up something a little bit more sinful for the entire family – gula melaka durian chendol. It is as sinful as its name suggests, what with the high sugar content from the durian and gula melaka and the high fat content from the thick and creamy coconut milk. But hey! I really need a good break. And there’s no better time to be sinful than now!
And I’m eating it all by myself if nobody else wants it!
- Water: 150ml
- Gula melaka: 150g, sliced into small pieces
- Pandan leaf: 2 leaves, knotted
- Durian flesh: 1 cup + 1 cup
- Ice: 2 bowls
- Green jelly: 1 cup, divided into 2 portions
- Sweetened red beans (Azuki beans): 1 cup, divided into 2 portions
- Coconut milk: 3/4 cup, divided into 2 portions
- Boil water with gula melaka, pandan leaf and 1 cup durian paste.
- Combine and stir till smooth, about 2-3min. Chill durian syrup in fridge for 2hrs.
- Shave ice in blender. Scoop into 2 bowls.
- Scoop green jelly, sweetened red beans and durian syrup to serve on the side.
- Scoop remaining 1 cup durian flesh onto the top of ice shavings.
- Lace with coconut milk to serve.