All I want for Christmas is lemon cookies and more!
I love this lemon cookie receipe for the fact that its lemon flavour stands out very strongly, yet isn’t too overwhelming, such that the butter taste gets lost in it. It tastes just as good as lemon shortbreads, yet not as difficult to make. I love that this recipe also allows one to add colours to it, just like how I decided to paint mine a bright red colour so as to match with Santa’s bright red suit. Hopefully, Santa will know that I’ve been a good mother and wife this year and will finally be persuaded to drop by our house to share in our Christmas bliss and joy.
- Butter: 150g
- Icing sugar (1 cup): 80g, sifted
- Lemon rind: 1 large lemon, finely grated
- Egg yolk: 2
- Plain flour (3 cups): 250g, sifted
- Salt: a pinch
- Food colouring: 2 egg yolks combined with red or green colouring
- Beat together butter, icing sugar and lemon rind till pale and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Sift in plain flour and salt. Knead to form a smooth dough, then wrap in cling film. Chill for 30min.
- Preheat oven at 190 degrees Celsius.
- Pinch out a tablespoon of dough and roll this into a ball. Flatten to form a round cookie shape.
- Place on greased baking tray. Brush top of dough with red colouring.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 10 – 12min per batch of cookies till golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 15min before storage.
- You can create different patterns (e.g. clown, Santa Clause, balloon etc) on the cookie and paint them with different colours. Be as creative as you can be and feel free to experiment!
- Try out the ‘Lemony Almond Shortbread‘ recipe too when you are free and judge for yourself which you think tastes nicer!