Time passes by so quickly… it seemed like only yesterday that my husband, son and I were at the Village Hotel Changi for a staycation, finally having a break away from work, commitments and responsibilities.
We spent almost three fruitful days there during the National Day holidays, exploring the North Eastern parts of Singapore that we rarely go to – window shopping at the Jewel Changi Airport, swimming in the infinity pool, having a friendly bowling session at the Changi Safra (with the two guys getting strikes without me), cycling at the beach, viewing aeroplanes flying right overhead (and scaring the hell out of the boy), viewing the sunset at the Changi beach, watching the jet planes fly by during the National Day Parade, having a stroll along the boardwalk… Not to forget the multiple delicacies that we’ve had and tried for the first time – eating hangover soup and freshly sliced sashimi at Kyuubei, drinking coffee out of 3D art at Chock Full of Beans, eating all the hawker staples at the Changi Village Hawker Center, snacking on pop corns and more pop corns etc etc etc.
The most important thing was that I was able to forget about work and focus on being me and being with my family. This means a lot to me, especially given both the guy and mine crazy work schedule. And not surprisingly, it also meant a lot to the little guy because he could skip school for a day (yay!) and get all the attention he wants from us.
Good memories… good ol’ fun days. 🙂
So now it’s back to reality (again, why does time pass by so quickly?!!) and back to the usual routines. And my usual routine cannot do without me thinking of what I want to cook or bake next that I would like to present in my blog. This time round, I have selected a muffin recipe using corns, cheese and herbs from my old chunky cookbook which I have hoped would make for a great breakfast treat for our weekend spent at home. It’s really delicious, yummy, cheesy and savoury all at the same time. Love it!
- Plain flour: 250g
- Double-acting baking powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1.5 tsp
- Ground blackpepper: 1/4 tsp
- Smoked cheese: 150g, cubed
- Chives: 1 bunch, finely chopped
- Corn kernels: 1/2 can
- Oil: 50ml
- Milk: 250ml
- Egg: 1, large
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees celsius.
- Combine plain flour, double-acting baking powder, salt and ground blackpepper in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in cheese, chives and corn kernels.
- In a separate bowl, beat together oil, milk and egg.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Mix with metal spoon till well-combined.
- Spoon mixture into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake 20 – 25min till slightly browned at the edges.
- Cool 5min before removing to serve.