A simple recipe for a simple meal at home. Especially when you only have time to cook one dish at home. Just get the pressure cooker to cook the rice for you and then get this cooking in under 15 minutes. There you have it, a nice plate of fish with gravy to eat your rice with, neither too much nor too little.
For more variety, add in some vegetables or tofu while cooking the gravy to create that one fuller pot of dish that you might need to feed a few more mouths at home. Just fry them together with the shallots when making the gravy and pour everything onto the fish together to serve with the rice.
- Snapper fillet: 1 x 200g
- Salt: a pinch
- Ground white pepper: a pinch
- Oil: 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Shallot: 3, finely chopped
- Garlic: 1, finely chopped
- Ginger: 2 slices
- Dark soya sauce: 2 tbsp
- Water: 40ml
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Black vinegar: 1 tsp
- Coriander: for garnish
- Rub both sides of fish evenly with salt and white pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok. Fry fish on both sides till light brown. Remove and set on serving plate.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok. Fry shallots, garlic and ginger till browned.
- Add dark soya sauce, water, sugar and vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Pour sauce over fish. Garnish with coriander to serve.
You can also use cod fish or threadfin to cook this dish for an alternative taste and flavour.
3 – 4 persons as side dish