We just celebrated my father’s birthday on Thursday. He’s 71 years old this year, and I am hoping he will have many more good years ahead. Due to the CB, we could only do a virtual style celebration with him. However, thanks to the still available food delivery services during this period of time, I was able to order some food for them as well, though sadly, it was a challenge to get crabs and a cake, the former of which was his all-time favourite. We’ll do a better celebration next year, to make up for all that we missed out this year.
I am also celebrating my 39 years of life this weekend. Again, there’s not going to be anything fanciful to do at home, perhaps just a quiet and restful weekend with some games and movies. I wish for nothing more than to have this whole episode of COVID-19 done and over with. And for everyone’s life to go back to normal soon. Can’t feel anymore thankful to know that my family is all safe and sound during this whole chaotic period. I hope that I could continue to stay sane as well in the next month to come juggling work and home at the same time.
I am still cooking at least one meal a day, buying in for lunches and cooking simple meals for dinners. Ask me if it’s tiring to cook and I would say it’s not too bad, and honestly, it can get even more tiring trying to decide what to buy from the eateries downstairs because it’s always the same few stalls (minus those that constantly see long, snaking queues). And I know I can’t complain already because we are staying in an area that is surrounded by lots of good food.
This recipe is very simple and can be prepared ahead of time. It also has all that we need for a meal, including vegetables and proteins as well as a delicious gravy to eat the rice with. Try it and see if it tickles your fancy too!
- Tofu (firm): 5 pieces
- Minced pork: 150g
- Carrot: 1/4, peeled and diced
- Mirin: 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
- Fish sauce: 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp
- Salt: a pinch
- Corn starch: 1 tbsp + 1/2 cup for coating
- Oil: 2 cups
- Water: 200ml
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Corn starch mixture: 1 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp water
- Egg white: 1
- Place tofu pieces in a shallow dish. Pour boiling water over them and leave for 30min till softened.
- Pat dry and half each of them horizontally. Use a knife to create a slit in the middle on one of the longer sides.
- In a separate bowl, combine minced pork, carrots, 1/2 cup mirin, 2 tbsp fish sauce, salt and 1 tbsp corn starch. Stuff a tablespoon full of mixture into the slits of each tofu.
- Coat tofu evenly with remaining corn starch.
- Heat oil in wok. Place tofu pieces meat-down onto frying pan. Heat till light brown.
- Repeat for the other sides of the tofu.
- Add in water, 2 tbsp mirin, 2 tbsp fish sauce and sugar. Simmer for 5min till thickened.
- Stir in corn starch mixture and egg white. Switch off heat.
- Serve hot with rice.