Is this the third time already that I’ve attempted a ham and cheese bread roll? I think it must be, though I can’t remember when the last attempt was exactly. I seem to be addicted to all the various versions of this recipe. I know I would repeat this later on in this blog, but this has got to be the best one so far.
You can vary the ingredients as you wish, using a variety of cheese as you prefer. Gouda or Gruyere would be very good cheeses to use, but if you can’t get this from the supermarket, you can always fall back on cheddar cheese.
- Milk: 150ml, warmed
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Active dry yeast: 15g
- Egg: 2
- Butter: 60g (cubed) + 60g (melted)
- Plain greek yoghurt: 150g
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Plain flour: 500g + excess
- Shredded cheddar: 220g
- Ham: 240g, sliced
- Combine milk, sugar and active dry yeast together. Stir and set aside 10min till foamy.
- Beat eggs briefly with a whisk.
- Whisk in yeast mixture and 60g cubed butter till almost combined.
- Whisk in yoghurt and salt. Then gradually add in flour and beat at low speed.
- When soft dough starts to form, change to a dough hook. Knead dough till well incorporated, for about 15min.
- Sprinkle some flour onto dough. Form into a ball.
- Cover with tea towel and proof 1hr.
- Grease sides of a baking tray (round or rectangle).
- Roll out dough between 2 baking papers. Brush with melted butter on top of dough.
- Fold half of dough onto the other half to enclose butter. Then roll again.
- Brush with melted butter on top of dough, then fold and roll again. Repeat till butter is almost used up.
- Roll out into a neat rectangular shape.
- Spread shredded cheddar onto dough, followed by ham on top of cheese.
- Roll up at long side of dough to form a log using bottom paper to lift.
- Cut into 12 pieces. Arrange into baking tray. Spread remaining butter on top of rolls.
- Cover with baking paper. Proof 1 – 2 hrs.
- Preheat oven at 2o0 degrees Celsius.
- Bake 30 – 40min till golden brown.
- Cool 15min before serving.
This recipe was kindly adapted from Dani’s Cookings’ ‘Ham and Cheese Bread Rolls‘. I personally feel that this is one of the better cheese bread recipes I’ve ever tried, given its multiple applications of butter which made the bread a lot fluffier, with different layers during the rolling of dough, rendering it even lighter in texture and much more tastier. Love it!
I should not have sliced the ham into smaller pieces, and instead, just overlay the original square slices on top of each other, so that the rolls look neater and more presentable when they come out of the oven.
Made a mistake in terms of how I placed the rolls in the baking trays – the side revealing the layers should face upwards and not on the side, so that the layers can show nicely after they are baked. To be corrected the next time I bake this again!