I can’t recall where I got this recipe from, it was many many years ago when I was still studying. And because I was still studying, I was unable to get hold of any sake, well, legally, nor did anyone from my house drank this for leisure. So, the attempt for this recipe had to wait, till now.
It is a very simple dessert to prepare, but it does take one to have a sweet tooth to stomache this as the plums are already very sweet, so simmering these with dried prunes and sweet syrups such as sake and sugar actually gives it double the sweetness. Plus the ice-cream served together with this dessert. Wow!
- Red plum: 6, stoned, halved, each half cut into 3 wedges
- Dried prunes (or apricots, peaches): 12
- Lemon sake (or any fruity sakes): 100ml
- Water: 50ml
- Ginger: 1 4mm thick slice
- Sugar: 4 tbsp
- Vanilla ice-cream: for serving
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 25min on low heat till thickened.
- Chill in fridge overnight.
- Serve chilled with vanilla ice-cream.
Stir 1 tbsp Choya or any plum liquer into plums before serving if you need a bit more kick in your dessert.
- Use any leftover stewed plums as a base for your cocktail mixer.