A simple quick snack decked in red and green for the pre-Christmas weekend – decked with cherry tomatoes and a mix of pesto and cheese. Perfect as a side dish for Christmas parties, sort of like a cold tapas served before the mains.
- Cherry tomato: 200g
- Basil leaves: 40g
- Pine nuts: 3 tbsp (50g)
- Garlic: 3 cloves
- Salt: 1/4 tsp
- Olive oil: 1/3 cup
- Parmesan cheese: 2 tbsp, grated
- Ground blackpepper: to taste
- Slice off the top of the cherry tomatoes as well as a small slice of the bottom so that they can stand. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeds. Set them on a serving plate.
- Blend together basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, salt and olive oil till a smooth paste forms.
- Fold in parmesan cheese and season with ground blackpepper.
- Scoop pesto into cherry tomatoes. Chill for 1hr before serving.
The little one actually finished up all the leftover bits and pieces of cherry tomatoes that were sliced off the tops and bottoms of the tomatoes by himself. You could also use these leftovers to add to your soup, salad or pasta instead of throwing them away into the dustbin.
3 – 4 persons (about 20 pieces)