It was sitting idle in the fridge anyway.
In any case, not only did I get the kick from stealing food out of my own fridge, it was also my first attempt taking such shots with my tripod, thanks to the untimely setting of the sun casting long shadows across the dish.
- Ripe mango: 1, sliced or diced
- Glutinous rice: 3/4 cup, soaked for at least an hour in lukewarm water
- Coconut milk: 2 tbsp + 1/2 cup
- Sugar: 1 pinch + 1 tsp
- Microwave glutinous rice on high heat with 1 cup lukewarm water, 2 tbsp coconut milk and 1 pinch sugar for 3 min.
- Stir rice and microwave again for 3 min till done.
- Add 1 tsp sugar to 1/2 cup coconut milk and microwave on high heat for 20 sec.
- Stir half of coconut mixture into rice and let the rice sit for 15min.
- Serve rice with sliced/diced mangoes. Pour remaining half of coconut milk onto rice before serving.
- Buy plump and ripe tangy-red mangoes like those of the Mexican variety for more succulence. I used the wrong type for this recipe, because I stole the wrong mango from the fridge.
- Sprinkle roasted dessicated coconut on top of rice to enhance the texture and fragrance of the rice.
- Using the microwave to cook the glutinous rice is really much more convenient than the conventional steaming method. I’ll definitely stick to using the microwave the next time I cook this sticky breed.
- This dish can be served both hot (as a main dish) or cold (as a dessert). Amazing!