The restrictions are gradually getting lifted, and social gatherings are coming back. The streets and public transportations are filled with people – crowded – but there are still not many out there who are willing to remove their masks outdoors. Strange… and I’m definitely not one of them!
Anyway, I find myself cooking lesser at home nowadays because life is really getting back on track, finally. So work piles up and I’m back in office most of the days of the week as well, so it makes cooking dinner very challenging and almost always a rushed chore. Luckily for me, I have a list of quick fixes in this blog that I can always fall back on, such as sushi, baked salmon and my favourite 3 minute meals. I’m not sure why, but I can eat 3-minute meals every single day without getting tired of it.
This black satin chicken recipe is definitely one of the many recipes I will come back to once in a regular while, because it’s really easy to prepare and very, very, very delicious. You can have it with either rice or noodles too. I’m already looking forward to making this again in the next few weeks ahead, and for many more meals in the months ahead!
- Chinese dried mushroom: 4
- Boiling water: 1 cup
- Dark soy sauce: 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar: 2 tbsp
- Shaoxing wine: 2 tbsp
- Light soy sauce: 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil: 1/2 cup
- Star anise: 2
- Whole chicken: around 1kg
- Ginger salt mix: 4cm ginger (peeled & grated) + salt (1 tsp)
- Coriander: 1 stalk, chopped
- Soak mushrooms in boiling water. Set aside and reserve liquid.
- Combine dark soy sauce, brown sugar, shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, sesame oil, star anise and the liquid reserved from the mushrooms.
- Rub inside of chicken with ginger and salt mix. Place into a large pot.
- Pour sauce marinade over chicken. Cover lid and cook 55min.
- Scoop sauce to pour over top of chicken once in a while. Turn chicken over once.
- Remove chicken from pot and leave to cool. Discard mushrooms and star anise.
- Boil sauce over high heat till thickened.
- Chop chicken into slices. Pour thick sauce over chicken.
- Garnish with coriander to serve.
Serve this dish with plain rice and scoop the gravy over the rice to eat it with. It’s heavenly!
- This chicken recipe can also be served with thick rice noodles (油鸡面).
8 – 10 persons as side dish