Looks like I couldn’t find a much better way to end the year then. It has to be a recipe, and an egg recipe at that. How very appropriate.
Which begs the question: What would my first blog of 2011 be? I’ll probably have the answer in 4 hours’ time!
Happy 2011!! 😈 *Whistle blows*
Ingredients for egg:
- Egg: 2, beaten
- Spring onion: 1 stalk, chopped finely
- Seasoning: pinch of salt, pinch of white pepper, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil
Ingredients for prawns and vegetables:
- Oil: 1 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Small onion: 1/2, chopped finely
- Chilli padi: 2, chopped finely
- Fresh prawns: 5, deshelled, deveined, rubbed with 1 tsp corn starch
- Bean sprouts: 1/3 cup
- Mixed peas: 1/3 cup
- Seasoning: pinch of salt, pinch of white pepper, 1 tsp soy sauce
Ingredients for egg gravy:
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 tsp corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- Add 1/2 of chopped spring onions and seasoning into beaten egg. Set aside.
- Heat up saucepan and add 1 tsp oil to it.
- Fry onions and chilli till fragrant. Add in prawns and fry 1min.
- Add in bean sprouts, mixed peas, salt, soy sauce and pepper. Fry 1min.
- Remove from heat and stir all ingredients into egg mixture.
- Heat up saucepan and add 1 tbsp oil to it.
- Pour egg mixture onto saucepan and tilt saucepan till egg is evenly distributed.
- Heat for 3min at medium heat till golden brown. Flip it to the other side and cook for 1min.
- Serve onto a plate and garnish with the remaining spring onions.
- To prepare the gravy, heat up all the ingredients in a saucepan till gravy thickens (2min).
- Remove from heat and pour onto omelette to serve.
- To flip the egg: slip the cooked side of the egg onto a shallow plate and use the plate itself to flip it back onto the saucepan.
- If anyone has a better idea on how to flip an egg without having to train as an apprentice for a year, let me know!
- The Egg Foo Yong served in Singapore usually has no gravy. I’m surprised to find many recipes of this version online and decided to give it a try. Nice!