It is difficult. You start off not knowing exactly how it should taste like, and yet you know when you’ve gotten it wrong. I could only give it my best shot in my attempt to discover what my mama’s secret recipe contains.
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Red onion: 1, sliced
- Cucumber: 1/2, quartered lengthwise, decored, sliced
- Boiling water: 3/4 cup
- Salt: a pinch
- Egg: 2, beaten, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp fish sauce, dash of pepper
- Rice wine: 1 tbsp
- Fish sauce: 1 tbsp
- White pepper: a dash
- Coriander: 1/2 stalk, chopped finely
- Heat oil in frying pan. Stir-fry onions for 1 min. Add cucumbers and stir-fry for another min.
- Add boiling water and salt. Let onions and cucumbers cook in boiling water for 2min.
- Add beaten egg, rice wine, fish sauce and pepper into mixture. Stir-fry egg mixture for 2-3min.
- Garnish with remaining coriander and serve hot with rice.
- The cucumbers and onions were boiled first so that they can absorb the flavours more easily during the latter part of the stir-fry.
- Don’t over-cook the eggs. The dish should remain moist when it’s done.