Kaya spread is something that I’ve always been wanting to try out back in Durham, but due to the inavailability of pandan leaves, did not.
Here is a very simple kaya recipe to create a batch of wonderful morning delight!
- Egg: 4
- Sugar: 150g
- Coconut milk: 250ml
- Pandan leaves: 8 blades, washed, crushed and tied into a knot
- Whisk eggs in mixing bowl at low speed to break up the yolks.
- Gradually add in sugar and whisk at full speed for about 3min.
- Gradually add in coconut milk and whisk at full speed for another 2min.
- Place mixture into a metal bowl. Add pandan leaves.
- Place bowl over a water-bath and double-boil for 1 hr over low heat.
- Stir continuously to prevent burning. The mixture will gradually become greener and thicker.
- Remove leaves from mixture and the bowl from the heat. Leave to cool before chilling in the fridge.
- The pandan leaves are a must-have to ensure that the spread turns into a nice green colour. Otherwise, it’ll turn brown, which is the way some bakeries sell them as well.
1 bottle/container of spread