‘Kohlroulade‘ means ‘Cabbage (Kohl) Roll (Roulade)’. It tastes exactly like Frikadellen, due largely to the fact that the ingredients used are about 90% similar to those used to make the Danish meatballs.
Now I’ll have to think up something else to make next weekend in order to finish up the remaining cabbages and onions. 😉
- White cabbage: 400g (about half of 1 large cabbage)
- Water: 2 liters + 1 cup for sauce
- Minced pork: 400g
- Breadcrumbs: 4 tbsp
- Ground blackpepper: to taste
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Ground paprika: 1 tsp
- Ground cumin: 1 tsp
- Egg: 1
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Bacon strips: 6 slices, chopped finely
- White onion: 1, finely chopped
- Spring onion: 2 stalks, chopped finely + enough for wrapping (10 stems)
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Knorr Jäger Soße (or any other soup or sauce): 1 packet
- Cook 10 cabbage leaves in 2 liters of boiling water for 30min. Set aside to cool.
- Mix minced pork, breadcrumbs, blackpepper, salt, paprika, cumin and egg together.
- Heat butter in wok. Fry half the amount of chopped bacon for 1min.
- Add white and spring onions into wok. Fry till onions turn soft and transparent.
- Add onion mixture into pork mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Place about 2 tbsp of mixture into core of 1 cabbage leaf (nearer to the stem).
- Fold the sides in and roll cabbage over to enclose meat filling.
- Tie up the cabbage roll with spring onion. Do not pull too tightly or the spring onion would break.
- Repeat steps 6 – 8 with the other 9 leaves.
- Heat oil in wok. Place rolls in wok and fry each side for about 8min. Set aside.
- To prepare sauce for rolls, fry the rest of the bacon in wok.
- Add sauce and 1 cup of water into wok. Mix and leave to boil for 3 min.
- Spoon sauce over cabbage rolls to serve.
- To get perfectly untorn leaves from the cabbage, use a knife to cut a circle around the cabbage stem at the bottom to remove its core first. This makes it easier to remove the leaves at the top without tearing them apart.
- The water used for boiling the cabbages could be used to cook the sauce as well.
10 small parcels