It is a very plain, yet delightfully simple dish to make for ourselves at home. The topping of minced meat could go with many different types of flavourings and sauces too. I love my version of steamed tofu soupy and lettuce-drenched so that it becomes an all-in-one dish, to make for a humble home-cooked meal.
Oh, but don’t forget to top everything up with that huge slob of chilli paste too.
- Minced pork: 250g
- Corn starch: 1 tbsp
- Fish sauce: 3 tbsp
- Sesame oil: 1 tbsp
- Shaoxing wine: 1 tbsp
- White pepper: 1 tsp
- Chinese mushroom: 4, soaked in water for 1 hr, chopped roughly
- Lettuce (optional): 2 leaves
- Chinese tofu: 2 packs (300g each), sliced thickly (about 5 x 5 x 1 cm)
- 老干妈: 1/2 cup
- Red chilli: 2, finely chopped
- Chinese parsley: 1 stalk, finely chopped
- Mix pork with corn starch, then fish sauce, sesame oil, shaoxing wine and pepper.
- Leave to marinate in fridge overnight.
- Remove pork from fridge. Mix in mushrooms and set aside.
- Lay 1 lettuce leave each on two plates. Place tofu slices carefully onto leaves.
- Spoon 2 heaped tbsp pork mixture onto each tofu slice.
- Spread 1 tsp 老干妈 onto each portion of pork mixture. Top with chillies and parsley.
- Steam for 15 min. Garnish with more parsley to serve.
- Do spend a little bit more to get better quality Chinese tofu (I bought the Fortune brand tofu). It is easier to get them out of the packaging in one complete piece without getting it mashed up.
- Top the steamed slices with some pork floss for a crunchier and more layered texture.
8 slices (serves 8)
👿 👿 👿