Just a simple bread recipe, kneaded and rolled up. Stuffed with cheese and nuts. For those of you who enjoy savoury tasting breads, this would be a whole new flavour to attempt at home.
- Instant dried yeast: 1 pack
- Herbed salt: 1 tbsp
- Lukewarm water: 320ml
- Whole wheat flour: 500g, sifted
- Pistachio nuts: 75g + 4 tbsp, roughly chopped, roasted for 5min
- Parmesan cheese: 3 tbsp
- Oregano leaves: leaves from 1 stalk, chopped finely
- Basil pesto sauce: 4 tbsp
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Mix yeast and salt with lukewarm water. Leave for 5min till bubbles form.
- Place flour in a mixing bowl. Make a hole in the center of flour.
- Pour yeast mixture into flour. Knead for 5min till a smooth dough forms.
- Leave in warm place to rise for 30min.
- Mix pistachio, cheese and oregano together. Set aside.
- Scatter flour on counter. Knead dough again for 5min.
- Divide into 2 portions. Roll out 1 portion to 20cm x 25cm.
- Spread 2 tbsp pesto sauce onto dough. Scatter 1/2 of pistachio mixture on top of sauce.
- Roll along the shorter side. Place in a greased loaf pan, seam side down.
- Brush with water. Distribute 2 tbsp pistachio nuts onto top of dough, pressing them in to secure.
- Score diagonally for with a knife 4 to 5 times. Leave to rise for another 15min.
- Repeat steps 8 to 12 with the 2nd portion of dough.
- Bake the loaves for 10 min with a bowl of water in the oven.
- Reduce to 180 degrees Celsius. Bake for another 10min.
- Leave to cool for 10min before removing from pan. Slice to serve.
- This recipe was kindly adapted from Brot Backen, published by Backlust (Germany). The original recipe called for spelt bread flour and pumpkin seeds. I could not locate spelt bread flour in the supermarkets and hence had to substitute it with whole wheat flour instead. I also used pistachio seeds instead as these were conveniently sitting in my fridge.
2 loaves of baguette