Potato salads can be very simple to make and a very convenient meal for a working adult/parent, especially because they can be kept to chill in the fridge for up to a few days without spoiling, which means I can save myself the effort of having to heat it up before serving. The other reason why I love potato salads is that it is the kind of ‘one-bowl-contains-all-I-need’ dish – there are carbohydrates (potato), proteins (egg), calcium (sour cream), vitamins (vegetables) etc all gathered together under the same dressing. Just throw them all into a big bowl, mix them up and voila!
This is my version of potato salad that I love making, especially during the hot and humid months of May and June. I could not find red potatoes and so am using the normal brown ones instead. I have also added red apples and celery to add some crunch to the dish. However, if you so wish to have a plate of potato salad with a more consistent texture, you could easily leave these two ingredients out of the recipe and keep to a simple good old bowl of potato salad. Any time, any day.
- Potato: 6
- Egg: 6
- Red apple: 5, peeled & diced
- Celery: 2 stalks, sliced
- Spring onion: 1 stalk, chopped
- Mayonnaise: 1 cup
- Sour cream: 1 cup
- Apple cider vinegar: 3 tbsp
- Herbed salt: 2 tsp
- Ground blackpepper: 2 tsp
- Sugar: 2 tbsp
- Boil potatoes for 20 min till soft but firm. Drain, peel and dice.
- Boil eggs for 15 min. Drain, peel and dice 5 of them. Slice the remaining egg and set aside for garnish.
- Place diced potatoes, eggs, apples, celery and spring onion into a big bowl. Set aside some spring onion for garnish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, salt, black pepper and sugar.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture into potato salad. Mix evenly.
- Chill overnight. Garnish with egg slices and spring onions to serve.
- I added in red apples to make my salad both sweet and savoury in flavour. You could do without it, or add green apples if you prefer a slightly tangy taste as well.
- This recipe is a self-created one. In fact, potato salads rarely have apples in them, perhaps due to the differences in taste and texture. But that’s the beauty of making salads – one can add whatever ingredients one likes into it to cater to his own taste!