I had wanted to bake a cake for the guy’s birthday, but due to time constraints, I thought a cake that does not need baking would be a great idea. Hence the decision to make a cheesecake, and a mango one at that. Sadly, it didn’t turn out quite as good as I was hoping it would be (refer to my disclaimers below for reasons), but I’m not giving it up forever. Gonna try again next time when there’s another chance!
- Marie digestive biscuit: 120g
- Butter: 100g, melted
- Gelatin: 1.5 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Lukewarm water: 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp
- Cream cheese: 250g
- Milk: 3 tbsp
- Icing sugar: 3 tbsp
- Meiji mango yogurt: 280g, 2 small tubs
- Lemon juice: 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
- Whipping cream: 150g
- Mango: 1 + 2 + extra, cubed
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
Method (biscuit base):
- Grease sides and bottom of a square cake pan.
- Use a rolling pin to crush the biscuits coarsely in a ziploc bag.
- Add biscuits to melted butter and mix.
- Press biscuit mixture into bottom of cake pan. Leave in fridge to set.
Method (cream cheese filling):
- Dissolve 1.5 tbsp gelatin in 2 tbsp water. Keep warm in a double boiler.
- Whisk cream cheese, milk and icing sugar till smooth. Add dissolved gelatin and whisk again quickly.
- Add yogurt and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice into cream cheese mixture. Whisk again till evenly combined. Set aside.
- Separately whisk whipping cream till a soft peak forms. Fold this into cream cheese mixture.
- Pour half of mixture into cake pan on top of biscuit base. Distribute mango cubes (1, cubed) on top, then pour in remaining cream cheese mixture. Leave in fridge to set for 1 hr.
Method (mango topping):
- Dissolve 1 tbsp gelatin in 2 tbsp water. Keep warm in a double boiler.
- Blend mangoes (2, cubed), sugar and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice till smooth.
- Add in gelatin mixture and give a quick blend.
- Pour mixture over cake. Shake pan to distribute.
- Chill 4 hrs in fridge till set. Decorate with remaining mango cubes.
- This recipe was kindly adapted from Anncoo Journal’s ‘No-Bake Mango Yogurt Cheesecake‘, whose cheesecake looked really great and delicious!
- I accidentally added in 40g more whipping cream than was necessary, which I believe was the main reason for the cake tasting a lot softer than it should (like ice-cream). I’ll definitely need to do a better job than this next time!
- Prepare and add the mango topping only when you are ready to serve the cake. I prepared mine only a day in advance but it already oxidised enough to became a lot darker in colour the next day I served the cake.
1 1kg cake (small)