I am getting head over heels with avocado. The craze of buying avocados started at the beginning of this year and it has not stopped since then. All these recipes using avocados have been populating my blog – ‘Four-Ingredients Avocado Popsicles‘ and ‘Rich & Creamy Avocado Smoothie‘. And now, an avocado sauce for my spaghetti.
Using avocado to make spaghetti sauce isn’t altogether new though. Similar recipes have been appearing online and it appears to be an especially popular dish for the vegans, what with its tasty, rich and creamy flavours. It is definitely a great way to enjoy your bowl of pasta during summer as well, given the possibility of chilling the sauce first before serving.
And yes, indeed, this isn’t the end of my avocado journey yet. More to come, without a doubt!
- Avocado: 2 (ripe), skin and seed removed
- Basil leaves: 2 cups
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Olive oil: 5 tbsp
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Ground blackpepper: 1 tsp
- Blend avocado, basil, garlic and olive oil together.
- Add lemon juice, salt and blackpepper. Pulse briefly till smooth.
- Store in fridge for up to a week.
- If you prefer a thinner sauce, add about 1/2 cup of water into the mixture at Step 2.
- The lemon juice will help to prevent the sauce from spotting and darkening due to oxidation.
3 persons (3 full cups of sauce for serving 3 plates of spaghetti)