We were both at the supermarket. We both saw the packet of habaneros. We decided to buy it and bring it back home with us.
But what does one actually do with a whole packet of habaneros? Well, the first thing that came to my mind was habanero wings, or perhaps a plate of classic buffalo wings using habanero chilli peppers as the spicy base. Did that, tried that, but the level of spiciness of these wings wasn’t very convincing (hence no recipe for that here).
I tried the taste of the habanero sauce and decided that its tartness may bode well as a marinade for baked fish. Did that, tried that, and all’s well ends well! I love that the sauce wasn’t overwhelming but instead helped to enhance the freshness of the fish. Yum!
Ingredients (Habanero Sauce):
- Ripe mango: 2, diced
- Habanero: 3 (or more if you wish)
- Carrot: 1/2, cut into chunks
- Green onion: 3, roughly chopped
- Large lime: 1
- Rice vinegar: 3 tbsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
Ingredients (Main Dish):
- Salmon steak: 4 pieces, about 200g each
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Ground blackpepper: 1/2 tsp
- Mini asparagus: 2 packs (about 200g)
- Honey cherry tomato: 1 pack (about 200g)
- Olive oil: 4 tbsp
- Lemon: 2, sliced
- Chive: 50g, snipped with scissors
- Blend mangoes, habaneros, carrot & green onion till a smooth paste forms.
- Transfer paste to a saucepan.
- Add lime juice, rice vinegar and salt. Simmer on low heat for 10 min.
- Set sauce aside to cool.
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Marinate both sides of salmon steaks with salt and blackpepper.
- Place salmon steaks onto an aluminium foil, on a baking tray.
- Place asparagus and cherry tomatoes around steaks on the foil.
- Drizzle olive oil onto salmon and vegetables.
- Spoon about 3 – 4 tbsp mango habanero sauce onto each steak.
- Place 2 lemon slices on top of sauce on each steak.
- Squeeze out the remaining lemon slices onto the vegetables. Top off with chives.
- Fold aluminium foil over salmon steaks to wrap everything into a bundle.
- Bake 30min till salmon steaks are cooked through.
- You can make extra mango habanero sauce and freeze it for up to a few months. These can be used to bake anything else quite easily, such as baked white dory fillets.
4 persons as main dish