I had leftover stalks of thyme in my fridge. I had leftover whipping cream in my fridge. I had frozen chicken meat in my freezer. Put them all together and what do I get?
A plate of deliciously creamy chicken dish to serve with plain rice. And then after that, a cup of coffee to top it all up. Without the baby brawls and dins. A quiet afternoon to savour.
- Chicken breast: 4 fillets
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Ground blackpepper: 1/2 tsp
- Thyme: 2 stalks, stems removed
- Plain flour: 1/2 cup
- Butter: 2 tbsp
- Chicken stock: 1 cup
- Lemon: 1, sliced plus zest
- Whipping cream: 1 cup
- Plain flour: 1 flat tbsp + excess for coating
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Marinate chicken breasts with salt, pepper and 1 stalk of thyme leaves. Coat with plain flour and shake off excess flour. Cling wrap and leave overnight in fridge.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Pan-fry chicken breasts for about 7min on each side till browned. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add chicken stock and lemon slices. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 10min till reduced by half. Remove lemon slices and set aside.
- Add in whipping cream, 1 tbsp plain flour and sugar. Cook till thickened.
- Return chicken to saucepan. Add in remaining thyme leaves. Coat chicken evenly with gravy.
- Serve hot with lemon slices and lemon zest.
- This recipe was kindly adapted from Gonna Want Seconds’ ‘Creamy Lemon Skillet Chicken‘.
- I find the original recipe a tad too tangy and so decided to do without the additional tbsp of lemon juice. I even added a tbsp of sugar to reduce the sourness of this dish.
- Do not add too much plain flour into the gravy (which I did with much regret) as this would result in a very clumpy gravy!
4 persons as side dish