I have not been using my dutch oven for a while now, ever since I bought the pressure cooker. Time is precious nowadays – every single minute and second of it. Using the pressure cooker gives me that little bit more time to interact with the little one over the weekend. I even resort to cooking fried rice in the pressure cooker now. I must say, I am getting the hang of estimating the right amount of rice and water for my fried rice. No more soggy and wet fried rice out of the pressure cooker anymore.
Sometimes though, it does get a tad boring in the kitchen, and then when that happens, I’ll start to look out for recipes that takes me away from the pressure cooker for a while. This recipe looks like a perfect treat for my taste buds and food soul: simple, tasteful, colourful and flavoursome. My favourite ingredients are all gathered in the same dish too – basil, sundried tomato, garlic, chicken. How could I resist this any further?
Remember to cook some rice to eat the gravy with while you are at it. Tis’ the recipe for a happy weekend.
- Oil: 1 tbsp (from sundried tomato bottle)
- Chicken thigh: 8 (skinless)
- White onion: 1, finely chopped
- Garlic: 3, finely chopped
- Sundried tomato: 10, sliced
- Water: 1 cup
- Chicken stock cube: 1
- Milk: 1 cup (or cream)
- Cornflour mixture: 2 tsp cornflour + 1/2 cup water
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Ground blackpepper: 1/2 tsp
- Basil leaf: 1 cup, finely chopped
- Lemon juice: juice of half a lemon
- Heat oil in pan. Brown chicken thighs in pan till about 3/4 cooked.
- Remove thighs and set aside.
- Using a dutch oven, saute onion using the remaining oil from the pan.
- Add garlic and tomatoes. Saute for 1min.
- Add water, chicken cube and milk. Simmer for 1min.
- Return chicken to dutch oven. Simmer for 15min.
- Stir in cornflour mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with basil leaves and sprinkle with lemon juice to serve.
- This recipe was kindly adapted from Simply Delicious’ ‘Chicken Thighs With Sun-dried Tomato and Basil Sauce’. I changed to using milk instead of cream and using skinless thighs instead of those with the skins on.