The amazing thing about baby food is that adults can eat them too. In fact, they can actually taste really nice and interesting, not to mention they are usually very healthy too.
These cauliflower tater tots are really nice to have and can be very, very addictive – especially because there’s cheese – my favourite! Well, what harm can an overdose of cauliflowers do to one? I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if I were to eat all of them at a go, though that means I’ll have to be worried about running out of supply of these tater tots very quickly.
So if you’re considering trying out this recipe, do consider baking them in bulk, like fifty at a go or even a hundred if your oven is large enough. If not, just keep them out of crowd’s way and simply have them all to yourself to nibble on.
- Cauliflower: 1 large or 2 medium, cut into florets
- White onion: 1/2, finely chopped
- Breadcrumb: 1/3 cup
- Parmesan cheese: 1/3 cup
- Egg: 2, 1 for egg wash
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Ground blackpepper: 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Boil cauliflower for about 5min till fork tender. Drain and pat dry.
- Pulse cauliflower in blender for 2 to 3 times into small bits but not mashed. Place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add onion, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, 1 egg, salt and blackpepper into mixing bowl. Mix evenly.
- Knead about 2 tbsp of cauliflower mixture into a tater tot shape. Place onto a greased baking tray.
- Knead remaining mixture into tater tot shapes and place 1″ apart on tray. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake 35 – 40min till golden brown.
- Flip tater tots to the other side. Brush with egg wash. Bake for another 10min.
- Serve warm with mayonnaise.
- Put the bowl of cauliflower mixture into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes after step 4 above before kneading them into shape. It is a lot easier, less wet, and especially helpful if you’ve not managed to drain away all the liquid from the boiling of the cauliflowers.
- This recipe was kindly adapted from Just A Taste’s ‘5-Ingredient Baked Cauliflower Tots‘. I added egg wash to brush the tots to enhance the golden brown colour as my oven wasn’t hot enough to do the browning for them. Have also changed the proportions of the ingredients according to my own liking.
About 23 small tots