This is the first recipe to welcome myself back home in Singapore! And because my kitchen is currently at its most barren state (with dust being the main occupant), I’ll have to make do with the simplest recipe I could think of. These chillies could help to spice up the upcoming bland meals at home.
- Green chilli: 120g, washed
- White rice vinegar: about 1 cup (enough to fill up one the bottle)
- Sugar: 2 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Glass bottle: washed thoroughly
- If time permits, submerge bottle into boiling water for 5mins to thoroughly clean it and get rid of germs.
- Slice green chillies lengthwise, without cutting through to the other side.
- Use a spoon to scoop out most of the chilli seeds. Then cut them into slices.
- Put chillies, vinegar, sugar and salt into a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into bottle, adding in more vinegar to fill it to the brim.
- Leave to pickle in fridge for 1 week. The colour of the chillies should have faded slightly by then.
- The whole bottle should be filled right to the brim with vinegar before capping for picking. This process reduces the possibility of air being trapped inside which could in turn affect the taste of the chillies.
- The photo shows how they look like at day 1. I’m looking forward to seeing how they’ll look like 7 days from now!
Makes 1 small bottle of chillies