Given my current situation, I had to think of something cheap yet meaningful to get for my brothers’ birthdays. And it doesn’t make it any easier that their birthdays must always come at the same time every year. So coleslaw it is for them, for this year at least.
- Cabbage: 1 head (about 750g), finely grated
- Carrot: 1, medium-sized (about 250g), finely grated
- Mayonnaise: 1/2 cup
- Sugar: 1/3 cup
- Milk: 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice: of 1/2 lemon (2 tbsp)
- White vinegar: 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt: 1/3 tsp
- Ground black pepper: to taste
- Mix cabbages and carrots together. Set aside.
- Hand-whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, milk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Add mayonnaise mixture into vegetables and mix well.
- Leave in fridge to cool for at least 2 hrs before serving.
- For better results, leave coleslaw overnight to allow the flavours to be completely absorbed by the cabbages.
- I left out buttermilk and onion from the original recipe – one which I found on Google Search.
2 plastic containers (serves 8 as sides; serves 2 as main)