Having leftover Sze Chuan preserved vegetables from last week’s dish of Teochew Sze Chuan Vegetables & Pork Stir-Fry) meant that we had to either cook the same dish this week or cook something else using similar ingredients.
Knowing that I like my dishes salty, the guy therefore offered to cook this soup for me. It tasted especially good and warmed my heart (and belly) with every sip of the delicious savoury broth.
- Pork spare ribs: 1 kg
- Chicken stock: 1.5 liters
- Boiling water: 2.5 liters
- Sze Chuan vegetables: washed cleanly & sliced
- Tomato (optional): 2, washed & quartered
- Blanch pork ribs quickly in boiling water till there are no more traces of blood. Remove and set aside.
- Boil chicken stock and water in a pot.
- Add blanched ribs and sze chuan vegetables. Leave to simmer on low heat for 1.5 hrs.
- Add tomatoes. Add more water if necessary.
- Leave to simmer for another 30 min.
- Serve hot with rice.
- The great thing about this soup is that there’s no need to add any condiments to it since the pork ribs, vegetables and tomatoes are sufficient to give it a naturally sweet and savoury tasting slurp.
- Tomatoes are optional; I added them to top up my soup with some vitamin C. If you choose not to add this, just simmer the soup for 2 hrs in total.
6 – 8 persons