I’ve always had issues trying to use up leftover buttermilk. This time round, there was quite a lot of leftovers buttermilk after my attempt at baking cornmeal bread, so I had to search around for recipes to use it up again.
I have saved up this oven-baked chicken recipe in my Pinterest list for quite a while now, and there’s probably no other better time than now to try out this recipe because it uses buttermilk as one of its main ingredients and it looks delicious and tempting all at the same time!
The result? Very tasty and juicy drumsticks. Yummy tummy!
- Buttermilk: 1 cup (about 400ml)
- Olive oil: 1 tbsp
- Sundried tomato: 3 pieces, chopped + 1 tbsp oil
- Tomato: 1, diced
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Ground blackpepper: 1 tsp
- Mint leaf: 1 stalk, finely chopped
- Chicken drumstick: 6 pieces
- Spring onion: 1 stalk, chopped
- Combine buttermilk, olive oil, sundried tomatoes and its oil, tomatoes, salt, blackpepper and mint leaves in a bowl. Mix well.
- Place drumsticks in a ziploc bag. Add in buttermilk mixture. Mix well, squeeze the air out of the bag and seal tightly.
- Leave to marinate overnight in fridge.
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place drumsticks onto a baking tray. Pour remaining marinade onto chicken.
- Bake 30min till lightly browned.
- Flip drumsticks around. Bake for another 20min till golden brown.
- Garnish with spring onion and remaining mint leaves to serve.
- This recipe was kindly adapted from Julia’s Album’s ‘Buttermilk Roast Chicken with Garlic’. I added sundried tomatoes and mint to make the drumsticks more fragrant. Trust me, the meat was really tender and soft – I had to convince myself to stop eating already!