A simple variation of a leek dish in an authentic German Hessisch style. Make sure to add in enough bacons (Frankfurt Hessian dishes are rather salty!) and to crisp up the croutons to up the flavours!
- Leek: 400g, sliced
- Vegetable stock: 500ml
- Streaky bacon: 50g, diced
- Bread: 2 slices
- Cook leeks in vegetable stock for 20min. Drain away stock and reserve.
- Place leeks on a serving plate. Set aside.
- Fry bacon in pan till crispy (about 10min). Place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Toast bread slices for 5min till lightly browned. Dice them up into small pieces.
- Fry diced bread in oil left over from the bacons till crunchy.
- Garnish leeks with bacon and croutons to serve.
This recipe was kindly adapted from Angela Francisca Endress’s & Barbara Nickerson’s Original Hessisch: The Best of Hessian Food.
- Serve the dish up with the leftover vegetable stock to make for a complete meal!
3 – 4 persons as a side dish