Just a little tricky dish to get the little one to eat his proteins. Saw this recipe online which was thought up by a mom who was also trying to get her child to eat a variety of food. It’s not easy being a mum of a toddler, really. It could be a battle with tofu one day, meat another, and then of course, the ongoing cold war with the ever devilish vegetables, especially the stalky and stemy and leafy ones.
My little one loves rice, especially chicken rice. He can gobble up the whole plate on better days; on other days, he might just declare shop closed after just half a plate but it’s still easier to get him fully focused on that half a plate than when he is at home. Somehow or other, it is just very difficult to get him to eat the things that I cook, especially vegetables. He’s pretty okay with carrots, brinjals and broccolis. Other than that, he is not letting anything else past his teeth. And he pulls the gagging trick when he senses vegetable strips in his mouth. Really quickly too.
The day in the life of a mum trying to feed her toddler…
These fritters of pork and nugget, he ate about two of them in all. That’s a huge success for me already, and one to rejoice about. Hurray!
- Minced pork: 250g (about 2 cups)
- Firm tofu: 150g, finely mashed with a fork
- Green onion: 2 tbsp + 2 tsp
- Ginger: 1 tsp + 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Oyster sauce: 1.5 tbsp
- Salt: a pinch
- Sesame oil: 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp 1 tsp
- Sugar: 1/2 tsp
- Light soy sauce: 1 tbsp
- Combine minced pork, tofu, 2 tbsp green onion, 1 tsp ginger, oyster sauce, salt, 1 tbsp sesame oil and sugar together in a bowl.
- Form 8 balls with hand and flatten slightly. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp sesame oil in wok.
- Fry fritters for 3-4min on each side till browned.
- Turn to the other side. Cook another 3-4min till browned.
- Mix together 2 tsp green onion, 1 tsp ginger, light soy sauce and 1 tsp sesame oil. Pour mixture onto fritters in wok.
- Stir to mix. Cover and simmer on low heat for 1min.
- Serve hot.
- This recipe was kindly adapted from China’s Sichuan Food’s ‘Minced Pork and Tofu Fritters’.
Makes 8 medium-sized fritters