This weekend is a bummer. The boy is having high fever again, for the second time this year. So I can’t really cook much if I have one less person at home to enjoy the food that I cook.
Yesterday was great though. The boy woke up with a cough and slight fever, but after medication, cough syrup, throat drops, a bottle of honey lemon and lots of vitamin gummies, he recovered very well and the fever and cough went away. We thought that was it. He went back to school and did his Mid-Autumn Festival performance with the rest of the class, after which he joined in the fun and games in school at the different stations. He even excitedly showed us all around the school – his classroom, the ‘secret’ places, where he takes the bus from, the Western food stall (where he gets his pizzas from almost everyday) and the snack and drinks stall at the canteen etc. He also showed us the General Office where he goes to quite frequently (for good and mostly bad reasons) and the Lost and Found corner (where he goes to regularly to look for missing items). As parents of a Primary one child, we were really proud of him and feeling relieved that he liked his school.
All thanks to RVPS for organising this event. Without which I would never be able to find out how much my boy enjoyed school.
Anyway, back to the recipe. This dish of Japanese sushi bacon roll is taken off a Pinterest post and looked so delicious I couldn’t say no to trying it. It’s kind of sinful actually, with rice rolled up in bacon and we all know how salty bacon is. Plus cheddar cheese. So do mellow down on the amount of salt added in this dish. You can possibly do without any and the dish would still taste delectable (and salty enough).
It’s a great dish for all the sushi lovers and anyone who believes in fusion. Enjoy!
- Sushi rice (short grain rice): 1 cup (uncooked)
- Nori (seaweed): 2 pieces
- Cheddar cheese slice: 8 slices
- Streaky bacon: 16 – 18 slices
- Potato starch: 3/4 cup
- Oil: 4 tbsp
- Leek: 2 stalks, finely chopped
- Green onion: 2 stalks, finely chopped
- Garlic: 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- White pepper: a dash
- Sesame oil: 2 tsp
- Sake: 100ml
- Cook sushi rice and set aside to cool.
- Spread sushi rice equally on 2 pieces of seaweed.
- Place 4 x cheese slices on top of each set of rice. Roll up, pressing to roll tightly.
- Place 8 – 9 streaky bacon side by side, overlapping slightly, on a cling wrap.
- Place sushi roll at 1 end of bacon strips. Roll up tightly with cling film, twisting both ends to form a sausage.
- Chill in fridge for at least 1 hr to set.
- Remove sushi rolls from cling films. Coat evenly with potato starch.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Brown sushi rolls evenly on all sides.
- Push sushi rolls to one side of pan (or remove from pan).
- Stir in leek, green onions, garlic, salt, white pepper, sesame oil and sake. Saute for 5min.
- Remove rolls. Slice into 2cm rolls.
- Scoop gravy onto rolls to serve.
This recipe was kindly adapted from Tastemade’s Japanese recipe.
2 rolls, about 8 – 10 slices per roll