Cheese goes well with everything; it makes everything taste a lot nicer too. Cream cheese is my favourite of the week and here is how it can be used – as a spread in baked filo pastries for a nice weekend afternoon snack.
- Filo pastry sheet: 6 pieces
- Butter: 3 tbsp, melted
- Philadelphia cream cheese: 1/2 cup
- Cheddar cheese: 3/4 cup, grated
- Parmesan cheese: 1/2 cup, grated
- Fresh dill: 4 stalks, chopped
- Salt (optional): 1/2 tsp
- Ground blackpepper: 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Lay 1 piece of filo sheet onto a flat surface. Brush it with melted butter.
- Lay another piece of filo sheet on top of it and bind. Cut out 6 equal large squares.
- Repeat with the other 4 pieces of filo sheets to form 18 squares in all.
- Brush 2 tsp of cream cheese onto one edge of each square. Leave both ends of this edge clean.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp cheddar, 1 tsp Parmesan and 1 tsp dill onto cream cheese.
- Fold in left and right edges of the square to cover the cheese filling at the sides.
- Roll up the square to form a cigar roll. Brush the last edge with melted butter to bind.
- Place cigar rolls onto baking tray. Brush top surface lightly with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with salt and blackpepper to taste. Bake 15 min till golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 5 min before serving.
- Leaving a rim free of cheese all round the edges of the cheese filling on the filo square would prevent the cheese from oozing out during the baking.
- Use the types of cheese that you love to make your own version of filo cigar rolls. You could also fill it up with fried spinach or nuts to create other interesting variations of this snack.
Makes 18 pieces