I’ve tried to make pretzels before, and I failed horribly. When I dipped the dough into the soda water, the dough dissolved in the solution and became unsalvagable. Not sure why that happened… but it definitely got me discouraged for some time.
This recipe looked quite doable and simple, with just a few steps to follow. I thought I should give it another try and if it fails again, I shall give up altogether. Surprisingly, the recipe worked, and my bretzels remained in good shape after the dipping. The colour looked bright and nicely browned after the baking too. Great snack to have anywhere, any time!
- Self-raising flour: 1 cup + 2 tbsp
- Plain fat-free Greek yoghurt: 1 cup
- Baking soda: 1 tbsp
- Boiling water: 1 cup (or more if need)
- Melted butter: 1 tbsp
- Pretzel salt: 1 tbsp
- Preheat oven at 220 degrees Celsius.
- Using a dough hook, combine self-raising flour with yoghurt. Start with low speed for 3min.
- Continue kneading for another 3min at medium speed till dough comes together in a ball. Add more flour if it’s still sticky.
- Turn out onto floured surface. Knead to form into a ball. Cut into 4 wedges.
- Roll each wedge up into a long rope. Then cut out into 10 – 12 pieces each. Set aside.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Dip bretzel dough into boiling water. Then scoop out and place on baking paper.
- Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake 10 – 12min till golden brown.
About 30 small pieces