I recently watched quite a few shows on Netflix that made me think about life. One of these documentaries was One Deep Breath. It documented the journey of two free divers who pursued their passion in life to dive freely in the sea to reach their life goals. One of them sacrificed his life for the love of his life. It was crushing, touching, self-sacrificing, life-changing. It shows us how vulnerable life is, how insignificant each one of us is in this vast universe, us living in the formidable elements that we call nature.
I went to the salon today to cut and rebond my hair. My hairdresser was talking to me about life as well, and how her close friend passed away all of a sudden while she was away on a diving trip – one night in the hotel, all alone by herself. She left behind her husband, son and a family who loved her. It reminded me of my colleague who passed on earlier this year due to cancer, something he wasn’t aware of until it was already at the very last stage of the terminal illness. And my ex-student who collapsed in the gym doing what she loved most – jogging.
Life is unpredictable.
So I need to keep reminding myself that I shouldn’t sweat the small frustrations at work and I need to stop working during the weekends. Most importantly, like what my hairdresser said, I need to wake up everyday appreciating the moments I’m batting my eyelids.
Life is precious.
Which is why I continue to try out different recipes every weekend because the new dishes provide an element of surprise to my life, some good, some bad. This one here – grilled chicken skewers using pineapple as the main ingredient was easy to prepare and grill. It was also something different from what I’m used to preparing at home. The pineapples were refreshing to have, especially when served together with fresh cherry tomatoes. The juicy tenderness of the chicken was great to bite into. too So yummy and delicious. That’s certainly one good way to enjoy life!
- Pineapple chunk: 1/2 can (crushed) + 1/2 can (cubed, for skewing)
- Light soy sauce: 2 tbsp
- Water: 2 tbsp
- Garlic: 1 clove, finely chopped
- Honey: 1 tbsp
- Ground ginger: 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breast: 2 skinless fillets, sliced into chunks
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Combine pineapple chunks (crushed), light soy sauce, water, garlic, honey and ginger. Mix well.
- Marinate chicken with sauce. Cover and leave overnight in fridge.
- Skewer chicken and pineapple cubes alternately on skewers.
- Place skewers on a grilling rack. Brush with butter.
- Grill 30-45min till lightly browned, turning over once to brush the other side with butter.
About 10 skewers