Let’s start the year right with a hearty and healthy bowl of vegetable chowder. This chowder recipe has loads of Vitamin C and fiber in it, what with its plentiful vegetables. The bacon bit topping is an additional treat for myself, but these are really optional and can be done without.
This recipe actually reminds me of a previous one – ‘Medieval Cabbage Chowder For The Goodman Of Paris‘ which is similar in its content, but not as creamy as some would have liked. Whichever it is, it’s always best to make sure that there are leftover baguettes at home, or even better, freshly baked ones, to accompany and to be dunked into the soup. That bite into a fully soaked up slice of bread is what makes me want to cook this soup over and over again!
- Cabbage (medium-sized): 1/2, sliced thinly
- Carrot: 2, peeled & diced
- Hot dog: 4, sliced
- Low-fat milk: 2 cups
- Heavy cream: 1 cup
- Water: 1 cup
- Chicken stock cube: 1
- Campbell cream of celery soup: 1 can
- Bacon bits: 1 pack
- Ground blackpepper: 1 tbsp
- Baguette: 1, sliced
- Place cabbage, carrot, hot dog, milk, cream, water, chicken stock cube & cream of celery into a slow cooker.
- Leave to cook on high heat for 3 hrs.
- Heat up saucepan. Stir-fry bacon bits for 10 min till crispy.
- Serve chowder with blackpepper, bacon bits & baguettes.